If I Could Go Back to Day 1 of My Social Selling Journey, Here's What I'd Tell Myself

  


If I could travel back to November 2016 and meet the version of myself who was just starting in social selling, I probably wouldn't give her a secret strategy or tell her which products would become bestsellers.

I'd simply say:

"Focus on serving customers first. Everything else will follow."

Here's why.

I Didn't Plan to Build a Business

When I first started, I wasn't looking for a business opportunity.

I actually thought I was applying for a freelance job.

The person who introduced me explained that I would promote products by posting on Facebook, and every time someone bought through my posts, I would earn retail income.

It sounded simple enough.

I wasn't even excited.

In fact, I only made my first post because I wanted to help the person who invited me sell her products.

Then something unexpected happened.

That very first post generated a sale.

I also bought one product for myself—a whitening toothpaste.

After seeing the results on my own teeth, I became genuinely excited to share it with other people.

That was the moment everything changed.

I wasn't just posting anymore.

I was recommending something I personally loved.

What I Wish I Knew Earlier

As the years went by, I learned many lessons.

Some were exciting.

Some were frustrating.

And some were completely exhausting.

If I could give one piece of advice to my younger self, it would be this:

Don't get distracted by leadership commissions too early. Build your customer base first.

When you're new, it's easy to look at people earning from big teams and think that's the goal.

But customers are the foundation of any long-term business.

Customers create consistent sales.

Customers teach you how to communicate.

Customers give you real stories to share.

Customers build your confidence.

Without customers, everything else becomes much harder.

The Mistake That Burned Me Out

One of the biggest lessons I learned wasn't about selling.

It was about leadership.

There was a season when I spent so much time recruiting and spoon-feeding resellers that I forgot to protect my own time and energy.

I wanted everyone to succeed.

So I did almost everything for them.

Signing people up.

Helping with orders.

Answering every little question.

Fixing problems that they could have learned to solve themselves.

At first, it felt like I was being helpful.

Eventually, it became exhausting.

I realized that if people depend on you for every single step, you're not building leaders.

You're building dependence.

What I'll Do Differently This Time

As I continue building again, my priorities are different.

First, I'll keep growing my customer base.

Second, if one of my resellers wants to become a leader, I'll gladly teach them.

I'll answer questions.

I'll share what I've learned.

I'll support them.

But I'll also encourage them to learn the basics themselves—how to sign up their own team members, process orders, and guide their own teams.

Not because I don't want to help.

But because independence creates stronger leaders.

The goal isn't for people to need me forever.

The goal is for them to become confident enough to lead others on their own.

You Don't Need to Know Everything Before You Start

Looking back, I smile because I almost didn't take this opportunity seriously.

If my first post hadn't made a sale…

If I hadn't loved that toothpaste…

My story might have been very different.

Sometimes all it takes is one small win to change your perspective.

If you're just starting your own social selling journey, don't pressure yourself to have everything figured out.

Make your first post.

Serve your first customer.

Learn one lesson at a time.

You don't have to become an expert overnight.

Just keep showing up.

Years from now, you'll probably have your own list of things you wish you knew on Day 1.

And that's okay.

Because every lesson you learn today becomes wisdom you'll be able to share with someone else tomorrow.

Comments